Here's the thing.
I've been working on a story for almost four years now. I wrote it in 20 days, a wild storm of words. I still don't know how I managed to do it, but I did. And now, I really want to give the story justice. I mean, not only did I write it in 20 days, but I never edited it. I was four years younger than I am now. I'd like to think that now I am better at writing; however, my struggle is still finishing a story.
My stories are a beginning but never an ending.
This year I'd like to change that. I have to change that, because I'm taking a writing workshop class that requires us to write three short stories over the course of the semester. Woo boy. But I'd also like to change this outside of school, outside of just this semester. So I'm going to set up some goals for myself. Who knows how well I'll actually be able to stick to them, but this is more than I had last year.
1. Let myself have fun and make mistakes in this draft. I think I've been so stuck on my last draft and wanting to make the next one perfect, but I can't. This won't be the last draft. Maybe the last draft won't be written for another four years. But nothing won't happen unless I start.
2. (Re)create characters that I love. This story has always been character-driven; the plot was hardly holding up to much. And I love stories with interesting, fun characters. So I think I need to spend some time with these people and get to know them better.
3. Take a note from my class and brainstorm ways to make this story a conflict and/or a desire story. I've tried plotting this story for awhile, and my method hasn't really worked for me. Maybe I should go back to True Heir (a story I wrote in 8th grade, it was bad) era and try plotting out by writing out scene by scene what happens with dialogue thrown in as I think of it. I'm not sure. But this new way excites me, so I think I'll give it a try.
4. Don't worry about word counts or plot holes or anything else. Just write that first draft. I can figure this out in draft # who-even-knows. Right now, just write this story. Because I don't think I'll be able to let myself move onto other stories until this one has been given its justice.
5. Hold myself accountable on Twitter a la Adam Silvera. Not only will I hold myself accountable to writing, but I also will get to see my progress.
I'm sure I'll think of more goals as the year goes on. But this is a start. A beginning.